In this 32nd episode of SOB: Style of Business podcast, Keetria interviews stand-up comedian Deveron “D” Dennis from Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
-Podcast Show Notes-
In this 32nd episode of SOB: Style of Business podcast, Keetria interviews stand-up comedian Deveron “D” Dennis from Hattiesburg, Mississippi. This young comic embraces his authentic voice and speaks his truth, while incorporating his observations, without being afraid of expressing vulnerability and self-deprecation. Deveron shares with Keetria how he discovered his passion for performing comedy, his methods of generating new material, how technology has benefited his career, and the importance of honesty on stage.
- Deveron “D” Dennis first found comedy first by being a 16-year old rapper called Young Cupid.
- Deveron’s comedy is observational, self-deprecating, and offers meaningful opinions.
- Authenticity, honesty, and getting people to think is important to his comedic material.
- “Talk that Talk” is Deveron’s podcast that faces taboo topic discussions for healing and uplifting purposes.
- The steps that Deveron took to get started with comedy are realizing he could do it, watching comedian Kevin Hart, studying stand-up comedy, and then he started writing and trying it out on stage.
- The first time Deveron competed with stand-up comedy in a talent show, he came in second place, and fought back against his nervousness.
- He experienced the feeling of failing on stage once later in his career, after going on feeling confident beforehand – but he has never been booed yet.
- Creating new material often comes from conversations and when he is cleaning his house.
- Deveron’s writing process includes jotting down concepts that he finds funny then later freestyling them into a recorder to see how the humor comes naturally out of him to craft the best parts into a set.
- Recording his own comedy special material has helped him challenge himself.
- Technology has made it easier for club promoters find him, but he doesn’t want to share too much of his work online to prevent it from being stolen.
- Being true to himself has made Deveron appreciate his comedy work even more and to tackle topics that are meaningful to him.
- He finds being an entrepreneur scary, but he finds it inspiring and motivational.
3 Key Points:
- Honesty, and getting people to think are important to Deveron’s comedy.
- Conversations are a golden source of comedic material.
- Follow your dreams, but don’t ignore your realities.
– “Knowing that I am brightening somebody’s day. I think that is so powerful.” – Deveron D” Dennis.
– “Every time I’m on stage, I’m conveying the truth. I’m making people think.”
– Deveron “D” Dennis.
– “A lot of material comes from conversation.” – Deveron “D” Dennis.
– “The best piece of advice I have ever received was – don’t fake it.”
– Deveron “D” Dennis.
– “Everyone needs to follow their dreams, and make sure that they are dealing with their reality – while following their dreams.” – Deveron “D” Dennis.