If you’re reading this, chances are you’ve heard of mindfulness and are interested in testing it out for yourself. That’s great! Mindfulness can be a powerful tool for improving your life and well-being. But where do you start? This brief guide will walk you through the basics of mindfulness and provide tips on how to create your mindfulness routine.
Mindfulness is the practice of paying attention to the present moment, without judgment. That means being aware of your thoughts, feelings, and sensations without getting caught up in them. Mindfulness can help you learn to control your reactions to stressors and increase your overall satisfaction with life.
There are many ways to practice mindfulness. You can meditate, do yoga, or simply focus on your breathing. Some people even use a candle flame or other objects to focus their attention but the goal is the same – to center your mind. It is important to find a method that works for you and stick with it. Try different things until you find something that feels comfortable and helpful.
Powerful Mindfulness Tips for Beginners
Here are a few tips for starting a mindfulness routine:
- Set aside some time each day for mindfulness. Just like brushing your teeth or taking a shower, make mindfulness part of your daily routine.
- Start small. If you’re new to practicing mindfulness, it’s okay to start with just a few minutes each day. You can gradually increase the amount of time you spend on mindfulness as you become more comfortable with it.
- Find a comfortable place to sit or lie down. You don’t need to go to a special place to be mindful, but it can help to find a spot that’s quiet and free from distractions.
- Close your eyes and focus on your breath. Once you’re in a comfortable position, simply close your eyes and focus on your breath. Notice the sensation of the air moving in and out of your lungs. Don’t try to control your breath, just let it flow naturally.
- Pay attention to your thoughts and feelings. As you focus on your breath, you may find that your mind starts to wander. That’s okay! Just notice when it happens and gently bring your attention back to your breath. You may also notice certain thoughts or emotions arising. Again, simply observe them without judgment and let them go.
Mindfulness takes practice, but it’s well worth the effort. By taking the time to be mindful each day, you can learn to control your reactions to stressors and increase your overall satisfaction with life. There is no way you can get it wrong so give mindfulness a try today!
Keetria is an entrepreneur, wellness advocate, and brand strategy coach for creatives & entrepreneurs with 16 years of public relations expertise working with some of the world’s leading brands, startups, media personalities, and entertainers. If you would like to work together, don’t hesitate to reach out!