Most small businesses attract customers the old-fashioned way—via “word of mouth.” While word of mouth marketing works, it’s a painfully slow process to build a business. If you have a business, no matter how small it is, the best way to grow your customer base quickly is to advertise.
Here are some easy-to-implement advertising ideas you can do so you can effectively reach your target market:
- Make your Business Newsworthy
If you want newspapers and magazines to write about your business, you need to make your business newsworthy in the eyes of the press. A write-up in a publication won’t cost you anything and can help get the word out about your business. So how do you go about it? You need to think of interesting stories that can create a buzz for your business. Examples of these are:
- If you have a salon, you can devout a weekend giving free haircuts to orphans or the homeless.
- If you have a small pharmacy, you can start offering delivery service to your customers.
- If you have a store, you can have a Kids are the Boss Day and let children of your employees handle the day’s business.
- If you have a restaurant, you can make a conscious effort to make your business eco-friendly
The key is to come up with stories that hit home emotionally. The story may not be directly about your product offerings but it’s a great PR tool for you.
- Make a YouTube video
As focus shift from television to computer screens, YouTube has become one of the most important platforms online. With over 30 million visitors every single day, and five billion videos viewed daily, YouTube is an essential tool for any business looking to reach a large audience. You can create a video demonstrating your product and post it on YouTube. Or you can even create a series of videos that revolve around your product and its benefits and place them all on a YouTube channel. Here are some of the types of videos you create for your business:
- A how-to video demonstrating how to use your product.
- A Q&A about your product or service
- A series of video testimonials from your customers
- A video how your product is made in the factory
- Maximize your Facebook Business Page
The Facebook for Business Page has easy-to-use and affordable advertising tools for small businesses, use it to your advantage. You can boost a post and make it appear on your target market’s New Feed or promote your business page by clicking the Promote button. Here are other ways to advertise on Facebook:
- Facebook Events – get the word out about your business by creating an event on Facebook. You can invite your friends and prospective customers and watch your guest list grow.
- Content syndication – if you already have a website or a blog, you can use Facebook’s Social Plugins to enable them to be shared quickly.